Thursday, May 12, 2011

Gay conservatives/Black conservatives....

Quick thought: I have posted elsewhere about the strange demand on black people to accept gay marriage just because they are black. In fact there is a subtle demand that "because blacks faced (and continue to face) racial discrimination in recent history" that they are MORE obligated than others to support LGBT rights....



Obviously this is erroneous racist. Moving on...
This morning on NPR Brian Lehrer recapped his show on Gay conservatives. There was an indept debate about Gay conservatives and the reason why they did not support Gay marriage, why they were fiscally conservative, and why they supported republican candidates for the last two presidential elections.

That got me to thinking...Why haven't black conservatives been given the same forum? Why haven't they been allowed to say - "I am black and I do not support gay marriage because it goes against my beliefs and I am allowed to hold believes that don't support your cause"?  This, I believe, is the harm in the apprpriated someone elses experience of discrimination as a example of why your own discrimnation is wrong.  Black conservatives deserve the ability to express the reasoning and cause of their views and they are held up as the worse kind of hypocrites because of the fight to eradicate Slavery and Jim Crow. I have seen them respresented as the worse kind of uneducated and backwards people. Have we seen the same charicature of Gay conservatives? I think not...(Dog wistle)

I am guilty of this myself. I must admit that as a person of color I felt a overwhelming responsibility to support and allie myself to groups fighting for civil rights because I knew the faulsity of dicrimnation first hand. But I am now rethinking this...

No comments:

Post a Comment